Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Sloppy Joes!

Sloppy Joes are as American as apple pie! This is a simple recipe that I found in a crock-pot cook book my wife got for me. The name of the book is "Crock-Pot, The original slow cooker, Recipe collection". It was published by West Side Publishing.

When I make this recipe I usually double it. Everyone I've made it for usually have several helpings, so I suggest you do the same!

Recipe:
1.5 lbs 90% lean ground beef
.5 cups chopped sweet onion
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
l large garlic clove
.5 cups of ketchup
.5 cups of barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 can (8 ounces) baked beans
6 kaiser rolls, split and slightly toasted
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)

1. Brown the ground beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic for 6 to 8 minutes in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain and discard the excess fat and transfer the mix to the crock-pot.

2. Combine ketchup, barbecue sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and chili powder in a small bowl and then transfer the mixture to the crock-pot.

3. Add the baked beans to the crock-pot and stir everything. Cook on high for 3 hours, then serve.

See it is a super easy recipe!

Now there are a few suggestions that I have for this recipe. First, I use Heinz Ketchup and Kraft Original barbecue sauce for this recipe. It gives the Sloppy Joes a nice sweet taste. Second I use Bush's Baked Beans, typically the honey flavored ones with the bacon pieces, the honey and bacon just give a bit of extra flavor.

Well I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment